2013 is a milestone year for me. It’s the year I hit the big 4-0. My colleague Leo Lo created a fantastic blog that helps him make sure he’ll get some things accomplished by the time he hits his 45th year. I thought it was such an awesome idea that I have to do the same thing.
Here’s the beginnings of my own list. Writing down what to include is a challenge all on its own!
I will finalize this list by February 25, 2013. Final list below (finalized: February 7, 2013).
Deadline for all the following: February 26, 2018.
- Earn a non-library graduate degree
- Earn a Certificate of Advanced Study in digital libraries
- Earn certificate in project management
- Meet and maintain target weight of 125 lbs.
- Get off my diabetes meds
- Visit London, UK with Peter and the girls
- Tour Japan with Peter and the girls
- Visit New York City with Peter and the girls
- Go camping with Peter and the girls
- See a theater play or musical in West End, London with Peter and the girls
- Swim in a Japanese hot spring in Japan
- Visit one of the smaller islands in Mindanao, Philippines with Peter and the girls
- Present at a non-library conference or meeting
Win a grant(accomplished: May 9, 2013) Win an elected office in a library professional organization(accomplished: April 16, 2014)
- Publish an article in a peer-reviewed library publication
- Publish a scholarly article in a non-library publication
- Learn to swim
- Scuba dive
- Look down from the Empire State Building observation deck without freaking out or vomiting
- Hold a python with my bare hands for more than 3 minutes
- Learn to ride a bike
- Learn to read simplified Chinese
- Learn to ballroom dance
Help build a library in a developing nation(accomplished: October 7, 2013)
- Build a house with Habitat for Humanity
- Write a short story
- Create a photo diary of an international trip
- Build an outdoor living space
- Plant, grow, and maintain an herb and vegetable garden
- Watch a taping of Saturday Night Live with Peter and the girls
- Go to a masquerade ball with Peter
- Plan and throw a surprise party for someone
- Cook and eat vegetarian meals for 3 months
- Finally read Victor Hugo’s Les Miserables (complete and unabridged) from cover to cover, without forgetting or getting distracted